Jae from Domestic Affair adds an interesting twist to her vegetarian chili by serving it on a bed of chopped organic romaine lettuce or spinach, with cubes of avocado and chopped cilantro on top.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-large bell pepper (green, red, yellow or orange), diced
- 1 tbsp. each: chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. cayenne or chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups beans (all kidney or half kidney, half black or pinto beans), rinsed
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) organic corn kernels
- 1 28 oz. can organic tomatoes (diced or crushed/sauce)
- 2 tsp. sea salt, or more to taste
In a large pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent (about 8 minutes). Toss in the garlic, bell pepper and spices, and saute for a few minutes more, adding a slosh or two of water if necessary to avoid sticking. Throw in all other ingredients and keep on the heat till it’s all warmed through, stirring occasionally.