Though I had heard that Bob Barker is a vegetarian, Esquire magazine proclaimed that he is in fact a vegan. This recipe is reportedly one of his personal favorites.
- 12 oz frozen vegan burger-style crumbles (Morningstar Farms’ work well)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cans black or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 cans enchilada sauce
- 1 bag corn or flour tortillas
- 3 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- One 4-ounce can green chiles
- 1 small bag of Fritos, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees; spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with Pam.
2. In a bowl, coat crumbles with seasoning.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add scallions; cook 3 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.
4. Add stock; stir 1 minute.
5. Stir in beans; set aside.
6. Cover bottom of pan with enchilada sauce.
7. Place one tortilla layer over sauce; pour bean mixture on top.
8. Follow with a third of the cheese and half the chiles.
9. Add more enchilada sauce and another tortilla layer.
10. Add burger crumbles, more cheese, the remaining chiles, and enchilada sauce.
11. End with the remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
12. Cover with foil; bake 30 minutes.
13. Remove foil; sprinkle Fritos on top.
14. Pop back in the oven for 15 minutes.
Serve with vegan sour cream. Reheats in the toaster oven really well.