Tender braised Boeuf Bourguignon is a traditional French recipe that is often prepared with butter and flour. But in this award-achieving version, Chef Levana keeps it simple and allergy-friendly.
Special Diet Notes: Boeuf Bourguignon
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly. Despite the name, creme de cassis is actually dairy-free.
- 4 pounds beef shoulder, cut into two inch cubes for stew
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups dry red wine
- ¼ cup crème de cassis (liquor stores)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 bay leaves, or 1 teaspoon ground
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 pounds very thin carrots (not baby carrots please!), scrubbed and cut in 2 inch sections
- 2 dozens very small potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 dozen tiny onions, peeled and left whole (frozen is OK: no peeling necessary)
- layer all the ingredients in a 6 quart crockpot, in the order they were given.
- Set crock pot on low in the morning.
- It will be ready for dinner (10 to 12 hours total cooking time)
- place beef, oil and 6 cups of water in a heavy wide bottom pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium and cook covered 2 hours.
- Add the garlic, wine, cassis, tomatoes, pepper and bay leaves, and cook 30 more minutes.
- Add thyme, carrots, potatoes and onions and cook 30 more minutes.
- The meat should be fork-tender.
- Transfer meat and all vegetables on platter with a slotted spoon.
- If the liquid left in the pot is too thin, reduce it on a high flame until it is thickened, the consistency of maple syrup.
- Pour the reduced liquid over the whole dish, and serve hot.