Chunky Monkey Cookies
Alisa Fleming ~ This fun recipe is from the cookbook Super Healthy Cookies, written by my friend, Hallie Klecker. Hallie gives these chunky monkey cookies a 2-spoon sweetness rating (out of 3 spoons) indicating what I call a snack-desset hybrid cookie.
These are the cookies I make when I want banana bread in less than 30 minutes. I love their moist and cake-like texture. If you don’t have cacao nibs on hand, simply omit them or swap in dark chocolate chips or raisins
All of the recipes in Super Healthy Cookies are naturally dairy-free AND gluten-free, but if gluten is not a concern for you, and you don’t have brown rice flour on hand, you can use whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour in an equivalent amount for equally tasty chunky monkey cookies.
- 2 medium bananas, mashed well (about 2/3 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup creamy raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (67 grams) brown rice flour (see note above for non-gluten-free if you don’t have brown rice flour)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 raw walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips as noted above)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, almond butter, maple syrup, flaxseed, and vanilla to combine. In a large bowl, combine the brown rice flour, shredded coconut, walnuts, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the banana mixture to combine. Stir in the cacao nibs.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the lined baking sheets. Use your fingertips to flatten each cookie to about 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged egg--free, gluten free, lunch box, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian