To kick of Food Allergy Awareness Week, I thought we would tackle a big spring and summer challenge, birthday parties and barbecue potlucks. These versatile gluten-free vanilla cupcakes are free of the top eight allergens, and yes, they are even vegan!
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetairan, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
Have tree nut allergies and concerned about coconut? See this post: Are Coconut-Based Dairy Alternatives Safe for Nut Allergies?
- 1-3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (see Sarah's homemade blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup So Delicious vanilla coconut milk beverage
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed oil (or other neutral baking oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), softened
- ¼ cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons So Delicious coconut milk coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line 14 cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together the coconut milk, water and vinegar. Allow to sit for 1 minute to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. The batter will become smooth and start to thicken.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
- To make buttercream, beat together the margarine with the shortening for 1 minute.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons coffee creamer and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon or 2 of the coffee creamer if needed, and beat the buttercream until light and fluffy.
- Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost the cooled cupcakes. Best enjoyed within 1 to 2 days.