To kick of Food Allergy Awareness Week, I thought we would tackle a big summer challenge, birthday parties! These versatile gluten-free vanilla cupcakes are free of the top eight allergens, and yes, they are even vegan! The recipe was created by Sarah Bakes Gluten Free and shared with us by So Delicious Dairy Free for an everyone-friendly treat.
Sarah uses her own homemade gluten-free flour blend (see the link in the recipe below), but you can use a store-bought gluten-free flour blend or your own favorite homemade version, as desired. Just note that Sarah does use xanthan gum in her mix, so you will want to use a mix with xanthan or guar gum already in it, or add some as a separate ingredient (about 1 teaspoon in this recipe to equate her flour blend) to get similar results. Also, I recommend leaning toward a rice flour, brown rice flour, or sorghum flour blend with starches to yield the most dessert-like results.
For a discount on the creamy coconut milk beverage or coconut creamer used in this gluten-free vanilla cupcakes recipe, print this So Delicious Coupon
Have tree nut allergies and concerned about coconut? See this post: Are Coconut-Based Dairy Alternatives Safe for Nut Allergies?
- 1-3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (see Sarah's homemade blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup So Delicious vanilla coconut milk beverage
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed oil (or other neutral baking oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), softened
- ¼ cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons So Delicious coconut milk coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line 14 cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together the coconut milk, water and vinegar. Allow to sit for 1 minute to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. The batter will become smooth and start to thicken.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
- To make buttercream, beat together the margarine with the shortening for 1 minute.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons coffee creamer and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon or 2 of the coffee creamer if needed, and beat the buttercream until light and fluffy.
- Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost the cooled cupcakes. Best enjoyed within 1 to 2 days.