Peach Pie Ice Cream
There may be few desserts as “American as apple pie,” but hot out of the oven and redolent of warm spices, this pastry was clearly designed as an autumnal treat from the start. Just as we scream for ice cream, summer screams for cooler, more refreshing sweets. Taking advantage of the juicy ripe peaches flooding the marketplace and leaving the cold storage apples be, Peach Pie Ice Cream strikes the perfect balance between classic Americana and frosty satisfaction. Pieces of tender, buttery pie crust are woven throughout a creamy peach base, with splashes of bright peach jam in every bite.
While complex in flavor, the preparation of this peach pie ice cream is anything but complicated. If you can prepare a cooked custard, you can whip up this base in a flash. Minimize the heat in your kitchen by using a toaster oven to bake the crust pieces, or opt for a ready-made crust in a pinch. No one will be the wiser when they taste this fool-proof combination.
If peaches aren’t your top pick for summer produce, an equal measure of apricots, plums, or even cherries could be seamlessly substituted. Just like a traditional slice of pie, you can’t go wrong no matter what fruity flavor you choose.
In case you were craving a family-style, fork and plate sort of dessert, this peach pie ice cream formula is easily converted into an actual frozen pie, too. Pre-bake and cool a pie crust in a 9-inch round pie pan, and omit the cinnamon-sugar pie crust from the ice cream base. Immediately after churning, spoon the soft ice cream directly into the crust, swirling the peach jam throughout. Let it rest in the freezer to solidify for at least 6 hours before serving, to achieve the cleanest slices. Top with coconut whipped cream, fresh peach slices, or sprigs of mint for a dose of extra flair.
Peach Pie Ice Cream (Vegan)
- ½ (about 4.5 ounces) single classic pie crust (wheat-based or gluten-free), unbaked
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup peach jam or preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- For the crust, preheat your oven to 325ºF and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper.
- Roll out your pie dough to about ⅛th of an inch in thickness, in more or less of an even rectangle. Using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife, slice the dough into 1-inch square pieces. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and gently toss with the crust squares to coat.
- Arrange the squares in an even layer on your prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- For the ice cream base, pull out your blender and add the peaches (pits removed), coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch, arrowroot, and salt to the container. Puree on high, until completely smooth then pass through a fine strainer to ensure there are no remaining pieces of unblended fruit in the final base, if using a low-powered machine.
- Pour the peach and coconut puree into a medium saucepan and cook on the stove over medium heat. Stir often to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan, until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook for a minute longer, then remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla.
- Chill thoroughly in the fridge, at least 3 hours, before churning in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- For the jam swirl, microwave the jam for 15 to 30 seconds, just to loosen it up a bit without getting it too hot. Stir in the water and lemon juice, mixing until smooth and pourable.
- Once the ice cream has finished churning but is still soft, transfer a few scoops at a time to an air-tight container, drizzling some of the jam and sprinkling a handful of crust pieces over each addition. Lightly stir everything together, to marble the jam throughout but not completely mix it in. When the mix-ins appear to have been distributed more or less evenly, cover and store in the freezer. Let rest for at least 4 hours to further solidify before serving.
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian