Tres Leches Cake is a spongecake soaked in three types of milk. That classic recipe isn’t exactly dairy-free friendly, but Almond Breeze shared this dairy-free Tres Leches Cake that sounds beyond amazing! It’s a rich and decadent dessert made with
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Tres Leches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. This recipe does contain eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup dairy-free vanilla milk beverage
- 1 cup dairy-free vanilla milk beverage
- ¾ cup cream of coconut
- ½ cup non-GMO corn syrup or golden syrup
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Crack the egg whites into a large mixing bowl. Start beating the egg whites at low speed, increasing the speed to high until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar gradually, letting it dissolve well between each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Add the egg yolks to the whites, one-by-one, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk beverage to the egg mixture. This must be done quickly or the batter will lose its lightness. Add the vanilla and blend to combine.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The top of the cake will spring back when touched when it is done.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the milk beverage, cream of coconut, syrup, egg yolk, and vanilla. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer on low until the mixture thickens, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the topping evenly over warm sponge cake. It is not necessary to poke holes in the cake, as the syrup will be absorbed by the sponge cake within 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve with assorted berries and dairy-free ice cream, if desired.