Foods Matter, June 2007 – Reprinted with the permission of Foods Matter Magazine
Wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, soya, nightshade, egg & nut free – Another very simple soup that allows the flavour of the asparagus and the garlic to shine through. You can serve the soup warm or at room temperature.
- 1 lb 2 oz fresh asparagus
- 6 1/4 cups gluten/wheat free vegetable or chicken stock
- 7/8 cup dry white wine
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large handful of wild garlic leaves with flowers if possible or, if you cannot find wild garlic, fresh chives with flowers
- [Editor’s Note: If you are like me and can’t find wild garlic leaves, simply top the soup with fresh chives, and feel free to cook some garlic into that soup!]
Cut the asparagus into shortish pieces and put in a large pan with the stock and white wine. Bring slowly to the the boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Purée in a food processor and season to taste with the salt and pepper. When ready to serve, reheat the soup gently.
Remove the stems and chop garlic leaves quite small. Stir into the soup before serving and scatter the flowers over the tureen or each bowl.
SERVES 6 – PER PORTION
93cals – 12g protein
3g total fat – 0.5g sat / 0.1g mono / 0.5g poly
3.5g carbohydrate of which 2.5g sugar
1.5g fibre – 502mg sodium / 1.3g salt
GOOD SOURCE OF: Folate