This chili cook-off winner was submitted by Teresa to Allrecipes.com. If you don’t have any pumpkin pie spice on hand, try using equal parts of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. This is a fairly “tame” chili recipe. If you like yours on the spicy side, up the chili powder to taste.
Time: Allow one hour for simmering
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain. Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree. Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and sugar. Simmer 1 hour.