This vegan chocolate pudding recipe is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Becca Buckley. For a rich and creamy base, she uses Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
This nearly classic vegan chocolate pudding recipe comes together in mere minutes!
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Chocolate Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian. It’s all around allergy-friendly! Just be sure to use a dairy-free, soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple).
- 4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Creamer, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine
- In a small bowl, whisk ½ cup creamer with the cornstarch and set aside. In a medium saucepan, whisk together remaining creamer, cocoa powder, sugar, peppercorns, cayenne, and salt.
- Heat over medium-high heat until just boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan while whisking continuously.
- Let cook until mixture becomes very thick, about 5 minutes. Strain through a mesh strainer to remove the peppercorns. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and margarine.
- Pour custard evenly into ramekins, serving dishes, or even coffee mugs. Serve warm if desired. If chilling it, place a piece of plastic wrap or greased parchment paper over each serving and press the wrap against pudding to avoid the pudding skin. Serve with dairy-free whipped topping (not “non-dairy”) and freshly ground pink peppercorns.