Vegan Iced Coffee with a Kahlua Kick
Tami Noyes ~ With record breaking temperatures everywhere you turn, we can all use some help staying cool. Creamy, chilled vegan drinks to the rescue! Try this amazing vegan iced coffee for a in impressive after dinner drink, or to wrap up a fantastic grilled meal as you watch the stars come out.
To make this beverage any-age-friendly, or for those who like to indulge without imbibing, the iced coffee recipe can be made without the alcohol. Since the Kahlua is such an integral part of the iced coffee recipe, I’ve included a non-alcoholic variation that is equally delicious.
Editor’s Notes: Keep in mind that creamers labeled as “non-dairy” may in fact contain a very small percentage of milk protein. Read the label carefully and look for brands of creamer that are specifically labeled as dairy-free or vegan, such as Silk, So Delicious, and Wildwood. The recipe below is naturally dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free (again, check the labels on those creamers and ice cream!). For a soy-free iced coffee, look for a coconut-based creamer and ice cream.
Vegan Iced Coffee with a Kick
This is made with cold brewed coffee called toddy. Start this the day before you plan to enjoy it. Waiting time is not included in the prep time.
- 4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup coffee beans, roughly ground
- 1 cup Kahlua or other coffee liqueur, divided
- 1/2 cup dairy-free creamer, divided [see editor's note above]
- Ice cubes
- In a pitcher, combine the water and coffee beans. Stir and let sit on the counter for 12 hours.
- Strain through a coffee strainer and cover and refrigerate. This will keep for up to one week refrigerated.
- In each glass, pour 1/4 cup Kahlua and 2 tablespoons vegan creamer.
- Add the ice cubes and a generous cup of coffee. Stir and serve at once.
Non-Alcoholic Variation: Make Maple Sweetened Iced Coffee by dropping the Kahlua and adding 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup instead.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged barbecues, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian