Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
~ Just in case you missed the Spicy Red Bell Pepper Cream Soup
and the Creamy Vegan Polenta
, I’ve got one last recipe to help entice you to join in The 30-Day Vegan Challenge
. These lemon poppyseed muffins and the challenge were both created by famed vegan author, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
If you have her book, The Joy of Vegan Baking, then you already know that Colleen is the master of egg-free treats. Unlike many vegan recipes, these lemon poppyseed muffins are a wonderfully decadent delight. They will easily win over apprehensive friends and family.
As for The 30-Day Vegan Challenge, it is a multimedia series of daily emails that guides participants with tips on cooking, shopping, and socializing, and includes amazing recipes like this one.
To note, Colleen uses the richness of coconut milk in these vegan lemon poppyseed muffins. If you want a lighter baked good, you can use almond, soy, rice, hazelnut, hemp, or oat milk alternative in its place.
You may also make this recipe as a quick bread. Simply pour the batter into a lightly oiled loaf tin (or mini loaf tins) and increase the cooking time to 50 to 55 minutes (for the full size loaf only) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (from the 3 lemons you use for the juice below)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
- 3/4 cup canola oil or melted dairy-free margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil 12 to 16 muffin cups.
- In a blender or food processor or in a bowl using an electric hand mixer, whip the flaxseed and water together, until you have a thick and creamy consistency. The result should be rather gooey. This can all be done by hand, but a food processor/hand mixer does a better job in about 1 minute.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and salt.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add the flax eggs, coconut milk, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla extract, and stir mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups (about 2 tablespoons each). If you’ve already oiled all of the cups of the muffin tin but don’t fill all of the cups with batter, add a small amount of water to each cup that doesn’t contain batter. Baking an empty, greased cup makes for hard cleanup!
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian