This recipe for vegan vanilla cupcakes with strawberry filling is an Honorable Mention Winner (10 VIP Free Product Coupons!) as the Best Cupcake entry in the The Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, hosted here on Go Dairy Free, and sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Created and submitted by Tina Coopman, these vegan vanilla cupcakes came out perfectly light and tender, and shouted spring with the delicious fresh strawberry filling and lemony glaze. Our tasters couldn’t get enough of these gems! The only thing that kept them out of the top winner circle was the finicky filling. Our testers said they were a bit difficult to fill, but worth it!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
Egg Option: Tina says, “These are vegan vanilla cupcakes, but if desired, the flax ‘eggs’ can be substituted for 2 large eggs.”
I have included this recipe for vegan vanilla cupcakes in the “Sarah Recipes” category since she has personally tested it in her kitchen and recommends it as a keeper, but it was created by Tina, as noted.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons dairy-free, non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup each of So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Yogurt and Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, combined
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor mix ground flax seed and water until the mix becomes viscous and 'egg-like' to create flax 'eggs'.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together margarine and sugar. Add flax eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture and milk/yogurt mixture in batches, starting and ending with flour.
- Spoon batter into mini or regular cupcake tins with liners. Bake for 12-15 minutes for minis or 18-22 minutes for regular or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Heat strawberries and sugar over medium heat, whisking while cooking to further break up the strawberries. Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix all ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and set aside.
- Once cupcakes and filling have cooled, spoon the filling into a piping bag with a round piping tip. Insert the tip into center of cupcake and squeeze some filling into the middle. Repeat until all cupcakes are filled.
- Dip the top of cupcakes into the glaze or spoon the glaze over them. Enjoy!