Updated in 2021! Au Bon Pain is a fast casual bakery and café chain that’s owned by Panera Bread. Their menu has a huge focus on fresh baked breads, which isn’t surprising. Au Bon Pain literally translates to “good bread.” Most of their breads are dairy-free, which equates to a big dairy-free menu of sandwiches, in addition to several soups, salads, and other options. They also offer quite a few vegan options, as noted below.
Au Bon Pain Dairy-Free Menu Guide with Vegan Options
Below is a very full list of potential dairy-free menu items at Au Bon Pain, along with custom order details. We’ve also noted which items are vegan.
- Ciabatta (vegan)
- Country White Bread (vegan)
- Everything Artisan Farmhouse Roll (vegan)
- Multigrain Baguette (vegan)
- Rustic Baguette (vegan)
- Semolina Bread (vegan)
- Tortilla Wrap (vegan)
- Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap (vegan)
- Cinnamon Raisin Bagel (vegan)
- Everything Bagel (vegan)
- Plain Bagel (vegan)
- Sesame Bagel (vegan)
- Skinny Wheat Bagel (vegan)
Heads Up! Obviously, the cream cheese is off limits. Dairy-free bagel spread options are limited at Au Bon Pain, but most locations have jam, hummus, and they often have seasonal spreads, like pumpkin butter in fall.
Other Baked Goodies
Heads Up! Au Bon Pain used to make a dairy-free, gluten-free Chocolate Chip Brownie, but it appears to be discontinued. At our time of review, they didn’t offer any dairy-free muffins, cookies, scones, danishes, or other baked desserts.
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Extra Bacon BLT Sandwich
- ABP’s Original Chicken Salad Sandwich (on dairy-free bread, see options above)
- Chipotle Turkey & Avocado Sandwich (no cheese)
- Cordon Bleu Sandwich (no cheese)
- Newport Turkey Sandwich (no cheese)
- Spicy Tuna Sandwich (no cheese)
- Tuna Salad Sandwich (on dairy-free bread, see options above)
- Toasted Chicken & Avocado Sandwich (no cheese, no basil pesto sauce (but basil aioli is dairy-free))
- Turkey Club Sandwich (no cheese)
- Smoky BBQ Chicken Sandwich (no cheese)
- Mediterranean Wrap (no cheese; vegan)
- Napa Chicken with Avocado Wrap (no basil pesto sauce (but basil aioli is dairy-free))
- Turkey Cobb Wrap (no cheese, no Caesar dressing)
Dairy-Free Sandwich Spreads & Seasonings: Basil Aioli, BBQ Sauce, Chipotle Aioli, Dijon Mustard, Garlic Aioli, Honey Mustard Sauce, Hummus, Lemon Vinaigrette, Mayonnaise, Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing, Tomato Bruschetta. The honey, mayonnaise, and aioli options are not vegan-friendly.
Heads Up! The Chipotle Black Bean Burger patty contains milk.
- 12 Veggie (vegan)
- Barley & Creamy Lentil (vegan)
- Chicken Noodle
- Turkey Chili
- Tuscan White Bean (vegan)
Heads Up! Their beef base contains dairy, which is why their aren’t any beef soups on this list. Some other dairy surprises include the Harvest Pumpkin, Chicken Florentine, Tomato Basil Bisque, Roasted Eggplant, and Turkey Kale & Wild Rice soups.
- Chicken Cobb Avocado Salad (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
- Chef Salad (no cheese, sub dairy-free dressing)
- Southwest Chicken Salad (sub dairy-free dressing)
- Mediterranean Salad (no cheese)
Dairy-Free & Vegan Dressings: Balsamic Vinaigrette, Lemon Vinaigrette, Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing
Heads Up! The Green Goddess Dressing does contain dairy. Their croutons appear to be dairy-free, but check in store if you want to add them to your salad.
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
- Classic Oatmeal (vegan)
- Turkey Sausage
Heads Up! Au Bon Pain uses butter to cook their eggs.
Bon to Go Snacks
- Hummus Box (vegan)
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Fresh Grapes (vegan)
- Fruit Cup (vegan)
- Mixed Nuts (vegan)
Heads Up! Their Signature Granola is made with butter.
Dairy-Free Milk Beverages: Most Au Bon Pain locations reportedly have soymilk and almond milk beverage available for making coffee and tea drinks.
Sauces & Syrups: The Chocolate Sauce they use to make mochas and hot chocolate is dairy-free. Just be sure to swap in a dairy-free milk beverage and hold the whipped cream. The Vanilla and Chai Tea Syrups appear to be dairy-free, but verify in store.
Smoothies: Their regular smoothies do contain dairy yogurt, but seasonally they offer Fresh Fruit Smoothies which are all fruit and dairy-free. Check in store for availability.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find Au Bon Pain
Au Bon Pain has over 250 locations in the United States, India, and Thailand. They have a heavy concentration of restaurants in Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, New York City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., but you can find some further west. See the website below for addresses, hours, and online ordering.