Updated 2021! Dairy Queen is most known for ice cream, but they also offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare. In the past, their dairy-free menu items were limited, but now they have quite a few options for non-dairy diners of all ages. In fact, they even have dairy-free ice cream bars!
In addition to numerous savory menu items (listed below!), Dairy Queen made one of their iconic desserts accessible to dairy-free guests. Dilly Bars have been served at Dairy Queen since 1955, and last year, they launched a vegan version. The Non-Dairy Dilly Bar is made with vegan coconut “ice cream” and covered with dairy-free chocolate. You can see the full ingredient list below.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Breakfast items (select locations) – Bacon, Ham, Hashbrowns, Sausages, Steak Fingers, Chicken Strips
- Burgers (see Allergen Notes) – Hamburger, Double Burger (no cheese), GrillBurger (no cheese), Bacon GrillBurger (no cheese), Flamethrower GrillBurger (no cheese)
- Chicken – Chicken Strips, Rotisserie Style Chicken Bites, Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Hot Dogs – Classic Hot Dog, Chili Dog
- Local Favorites – BBQ Sandwich, Wild Alaskan Fish Sandwich
- Salads – Rotisserie-Style Chicken Bites Salad Bowl (no cheese), Crispy Chicken Strips Salad (no cheese) Side Salad
- Kids’ Meals – Applesauce, Banana, Chicken Strips, Kids’ Fries, Hamburger, Hot Dog
- Sides – Fries, Lays Potato Chips (Original, BBQ), Oven Baked Lays Original Potato Crisps, Side Salad
- Dipping Sauces – BBQ, Honey Mustard, Wild Buffalo
- Dressings – (all Marzetti brand) Balsamic Vinaigrette, Dijon Honey Mustard, Fat Free California French Style, Honey French, Light Italian, Thousand Island
- Frozen Treats – Misty Slush, Starkiss Popsicles, Non-Dairy Dilly Bars
- Sweet Toppings (but no dairy-free ice cream – yet!) – Brownie Pieces, Chocolate Topping (not Fudge), OREO Cookie Pieces, Peanut Butter Topping, Pineapple Topping, Strawberry Topping, Vanilla Syrup (for coffee)
Other Allergen Notes
- Dairy Queen uses soybean oil for frying and items are prepared in a shared fryer (their Onion Rings and Cheese Curds contain milk) to the best of our knowledge.
- Although the Misty Slush drinks are made without dairy, the Misty Freezes contain milk. So do all of their smoothies.
- Their Plain Bun is listed as dairy-free, and we confirmed with Dairy Queen that their Split Top Bun (used on the GrillBurgers) is also dairy-free by ingredients.
- The Pretzel Sticks at Dairy Queen appear to be dairy-free when ordered without the Queso, but verify with the staff.
- In 2020, they changed the labeling on their Eggs – they now state that they contain milk.
- Dairy Queen used to have Orange Julius menu items inside some of their locations, but we’ve been informed that these have been phased out.
Dairy Queen Non-Dairy Dilly Bar Ingredients
You can pick up a Non-Dairy Dilly Bar (or a whole box – recommended!) at Dairy Queen locations nationwide. Below is the full ingredient list.
Frozen dessert (water, sugar, corn syrup, maltodextrin, coconut oil, coconut cream, contains 2% or less of vanilla extract, xanthan gum, guar gum, carrageenan, carob bean gum, mono & diglycerides); Coating (coconut oil, sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, corn starch, soy lecithin, salt, natural flavors).
More Details from Dairy Queen
Allergen Disclaimer from Dairy Queen: DQ locations contain allergens that may come into contact with our food. Since allergens are present in every DQ location and cross-contact can easily occur, we cannot guarantee any item to be allergen free or the accuracy of the data as it relates to prepared menu items at a location. We suggest you inform the restaurant of any allergies prior to ordering and ask to see the ingredient listing on the packaging for the product you would like to purchase.
Restaurant Website: www.dairyqueen.com
Allergen Information: www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/Company/Nutrition
Last Updated: February 13, 2021
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Bring non dairy back!
I was so excited to find out Dairy Queen carried a non dairy option! After 33 years of not being able to enjoy going anymore, I could go back! I could take my grandson and enjoy a treat myself! Now, last week I go in to purchase another box just to have the Manager tell me they won’t be able to order anymore! Why???? Non-dairy lives matter!
Article helps but husband really wants soft serve non dairy ice cream
Would love it if you could come up with one that works
Response from Go Dairy Free
You can contact Dairy Queen to request this. It’s all about demand! There are also many other places that offer dairy-free soft serve locally. See our restaurant guide – we’re currently in the process of revamping it -> https://www.godairyfree.org/eating-out/restaurants
Vegan Gluten-Free Dilly Bar YUM!
I crave DQ’s dairy free dilly bar. It’s so delicious!!!
Thank you for this article, it is such a great resource to have on hand! I had no idea there were so many options, and I appreciate the extensive information you have given. Really takes out the guesswork!
Response from Go Dairy Free
Happy to help!
Dairy free dilly bar
Looking forward to more dairy free ice cream choices.
LOVE the Dairy Free Dilly Bars!! Hoping there will be dairy free blizzards soon!!
I can have dessert with my family again!
Since I found out I was lactose intolerant a few years ago, I have been leaving Dairy Queen with only dessert for my family. But now, with these new Dairy Free Dilly Bars, I can enjoy a sweet treat as well! They are really good, too! My only caution for others is that they melt faster than their dairy full counterparts, so have the napkins ready! Thank you so much for adding these to your menu.
Non Dairy Dilly Bars
Thank you so much for offering the NonDairy Vegan Dilly Bar. Tried it for the first time, as I did not know you had it. Very good. Thank you. Looking forward to more gluten free soy free vegan non dairy selections. Please continue your healthy offerings.
I love Dairy Queen! The bbq pork sandwich is the best.
Been to 3 Dairy Queen’s in El Paso. Today (May 28, 2020) the girl hands me a normal dilly bar and tells me “it doesn’t say on the package, but it’s dairy free”. Horrible job lol. It clearly says he ingredients in the back. None the less, excited for when they do get in the non dairy version.