Updated 2020! Whataburger is a fast food hamburger chain that can be found throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern United States. They have a traditional indulgent menu with several dairy-free burger, sandwich, and French fry options.
No Dairy (Milk-Based) Ingredients (see disclaimer below)
- Burgers (see Allergen Note below) – Whataburger, Double Meat Whataburger, Triple Meat Whataburger, Double Meat Whataburger Jr., Whataburger Jr., Justaburger Kids
- Chicken – Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Grilled Chicken Melt (no cheese), Chicken Fajita Taco, Whatachick’n Chicken Strips (see Allergen Note below)
- Fish (see Allergen Note below) – Whatacatch Sandwich, Whatacatch Dinner
- Salads (see Allergen Note below) – Apple & Cranberry Chicken Salad (no cheese), Garden Salad (no cheese)
- Salad Dressings – Balsamic Vinaigrette, Low Fat Herb Vinaigrette, Low Fat Honey Pepper Vinaigrette, Thousand Island, Jalapeno Ranch (double confirmed!), Honey Mustard
- Breakfast – Egg (not Scrambled), Sausage, Bacon, Hash Brown Sticks (see Allergen Note below)
- Sides – French Fries (see Allergen Note below), Apple Slices
- Desserts – Fruit Chews
Components to Help Customize Your Order
- Toppings – Bacon, Jalapenos, Fire Roasted Mushroom, Fire Roasted Vegetable Blend, Green Chiles, Diced Onions, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Pickles
- Sauces & Seasoning – Whatasauce, Honey BBQ Sauce, Tartar Sauce, Picante Sauce, Mustard, Bun Oil, Liquid Margarine, Pancake Syrup, Special Seasoning, Fry Salt
Other Allergen Notes
- Fried items, like the French Fries, Chicken Strips, Whatacatch, and Hashbrowns, are cooked in a shared fryer, where cross-contamination with dairy and other allergens may occur. Please note that the Chicken “Strips” are made without dairy, but the Chicken “Bites” do contain dairy.
- Whataburger buns are made without dairy, eggs, and tree nuts (they do contain wheat and soy), but the white buns are manufactured in a facility that uses all of these top allergens.
- Their Whatacatch Fish Filet is made without dairy ingredients (confirmed by their staff). At the time of review, they had a “milk” label on that menu item, but they told us it was an error and they would remove it.
- Their salad information is limited. Double check in store that the salad chicken is safe for your needs and which dressing works for you. They do have several options available.
- Wheat, soy, and egg are commonly used in their recipes. We didn’t note any nut- or peanut-containing items, but confirm with the company on potential cross-contamination issues, if needed. They do have some “made in a facility with nuts” items.
More Details from Whataburger
Allergen Disclaimer: We didn’t note a special disclaimer from the company, but as with all restaurants, cross-contamination of allergens is a possibility. Check at the restaurant on ingredients and preparation if concerned.
Restaurant Website: whataburger.com
Allergen Information: They no longer have a nutrition section online, but you can look at ingredients and allergen info for each menu item on their website.
*The above information was supplied by the corresponding restaurant via their website, customer service, or other published nutritional information. Ingredients and menu offerings are constantly changing in the food service industry, and can be subject to interpretation. For this reason, Go Dairy Free does not guarantee nor take responsibility for the accuracy of this information. If severe allergies or intolerances are a concern, contact the restaurant directly before purchasing or consuming one of their products. Cross-contamination of potential food allergens should always be considered a possibility in a fast food restaurant.
Last Updated: January 3, 2020
Average Reader Review
Rate Your Dairy-Free Experience with this Restaurant
What Others Are Saying ...
Their buns are coated in bun oil which contains butter. Make sure to ask for no bun oil.
Response from Go Dairy Free
As noted in the post above, the bun oil is made without dairy, according to the company. We even checked via inquiry previously. The ingredients are: Liquid and hydrogenated soybean oil, soy lecithin, natural & artificial flavor, beta-carotene (color), TBHQ and citric acid added to protect flavor, dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent added.
Have not tasted anything from Whataburger that is better than anyone else except for their ketchup.