The dairy-free options aren’t expansive a this Mexican restaurant chain, but we do appreciate that On The Border offers both an allergen chart and ordering recommendations for each top allergen. We pooled information from both to give you a bigger picture of the dairy-free options at On The Border.
Dairy-Free Menu Guide for On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Their allergen menu looks simple but can feel limiting for dairy-free diners. But it’s really about knowing your basic options at this restaurant. Knowing that you want corn tortillas, black beans, refried beans without cheese on top, and cilantro lime rice (but not flour tortillas or Mexican rice) will help you gain your bearings. From there, most of the meats are dairy-free, along with the sauteed veggies, chips, salsa, guacamole, and vinaigrettes. Now we’re talking options! Here’s how it breaks down.
- Chips & Salsa (served free)
- Guacamole Live! (made fresh at your table)
- Grande Taco Salad, Chicken Tinga or Ground Beef (without tortilla crisps, cheese, and lime crema)
- Fajita Salad, Chicken or Steak (without cheese)
- Mango Chicken Salad (without cheese)
Dairy-Free Salad Dressings: Salsa, Lime Vinaigrette, Smoked Jalapeño Vinaigrette
- Chicken (without cheese)
- Portobello Mushroom (without cheese)
- Shrimp (without cheese)
- Steak (without cheese)
- Classic Fajitas, Carnitas, Chicken, Portobello & Vegetable, or Steak (choose corn tortillas, and sides and condiments listed as dairy free)
- Border Smart Chicken Fajitas (verify all sides and condiments are dairy free before ordering)
Note: Their Homemade Flour Tortillas contain milk, but their Corn Tortillas are listed as dairy-free (and top allergen free).
Favorites from the Mesquite Grill
- Mexican Grilled Chicken, Salsa Fresca or Tomatillo Sauce
- Cabo Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Grilled Fish Tacos Del Mar
Sides & Add-Ons
- Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Corn Tortillas
- Grilled Shrimp Skewer
- House Salad (without tortilla strips and cheese)
- Pico de Gallo
- Refried Beans (without cheese)
- Sautéed Vegetables
Note: Their Mexican Rice contains milk.
- Chile con Carne
- Green Chile
- Salsa Fresca
- Honey Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Soft Corn Taco (without cheese and with dairy-free sides)
- Border Blast, Blue Raspberry or Cherry
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
They have over 150 restaurants in the U.S. and a smattering in South Korea. See the website below for addresses, hours, and contact information.