Since 2005, the people at PETA have chosen the best vegan influencers and vegan foods for their annual Libby Awards. We first reported on the winners of the food categories in 2008. Fast forward a decade, and we we can see how this category has changed.
PETA’s Libby Awards: The Best Vegan Food in 2008 vs 2018
A couple categories have gone by the waist-side, but several new categories have been added over the past decade to accommodate the growing options!
Best Vegan Snack
- 2008: Tings by Robert’s American Gourmet – Over the past decade, Robert’s American Gourmet rebranded to Amplify Snack Brands and Pirate Brands. Tings seemed to persist with a solid fan base, but lately, they seem to be slipping away from the market.
- 2018: HIPPEAS in Vegan White Cheddar – Other nominees included Califia Farms Probiotic Dairy Free Mango Yogurt, Beanfields Nacho Bean Chips, and Taco Bell Diablo Tortilla Chips.
Best Vegan Milk
- 2018: Oatly! Oatmilk – Other nominees included Pacific Foods Hazelnut Original, Ripple Chocolate, and Silk Protein Nutmilk.
Best Vegan Cheese
- 2018: Violife Just Like Mozzarella – Other nominees included Miyoko’s Un-Lox Your Dreams Vegan Cream Cheese, Follow Your Heart Pepper Jack, and Daiya American Style Slices.
Best Vegan Cookies
- 2008: Uncle Eddies Vegan Cookies – Uncle Eddie has done well over the years. You can now find several flavors of his cookies in natural food stores, and even at Trader Joe’s!
Best Vegan Ice Cream
- 2008: Temptation Vegan Ice Cream – Sadly, Temptation, or Chicago Vegan Foods, no longer sells their ice cream in retail. But they still supply this product to commercial shops and restaurants.
- 2018: So Delicious Dipped Salted Caramel Bars – Other nominees included Archer Farms Non-Dairy Vanilla Cake & Cookie Dough, Halo Top Non-Dairy Peanut Butter Cup, and Nada Moo! The Rockiest Road
Best Veggie Burger
- 2008:Morningstar Farms Grillers Vegan – Morningstar’s product line has morphed quite a bit over the years, but this classic veggie burger is still around.
Best Fake Meat
- 2008: Gardenburger BBQ Riblets – Unfortunately, Gardenburger has culled their product line. Now they only offer veggie burgers.
- 2018: Beyond Meat Beyond Sausage Brat Original – Other nominees included IKEA’s Veggie Hot Dog, MorningStar Farms Buffalo Wings, and Tofurky DIY Burger.
Best New Vegan Food Item
- 2018: Justin’s Dark Chocolate Cashew Butter Cups – Other nominees included Field Roast Chili Mac ‘N Chao, Gardein Italian Style Rigatoni N’ Saus’age Skillet Meal, and Sweet Earth Cauliflower Mac.
Best Vegan Seasonal Item
- 2018: Silk Pumpkin Spice Almond Creamer – Other nominees included Califia Farms Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew Coffee, So Delicious Holiday Nog, and Terra Real Vegetable Chips Pumpkin Spice Sweets.
Most Vegan-Friendly Fast Food Joint
- 2018: Del Taco – Other nominees included Blaze Pizza, The Habit Burger Grill, and TGI Fridays.
Most Vegan-Friendly Coffee Chain
- 2018: Starbucks – Other nominees included The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, and Dunkin’ Donuts.
Most Vegan-Friendly Amusement Park Food
- 2018: Disneyland – Other nominees included Cedar Point, Epcot, and Universal Studios Hollywood.