I try not to tease with dairy-free products, but there is one up and comer that I must share. Tokaj Vegan Liqueur is a dairy-free, coconut and almond, creamy, ready-to-drink beverage that’s positively delicious. All of our tasters, both dairy-free and dairy-loving, voted it better than Baileys, with a unique flavor, light creamy finish, and perfect balance of alcohol (15%).
Tokaj Creamy Vegan Liqueur is More Spirited than Baileys
The catch? Tokaj Vegan Liqueur is sold in Hungary. The company is working diligently to get U.S. and global distribution, which is why they sent us some to try. I’m sharing, because you, the consumer, hold more power than you think! They’re a small company, but if you ask retailers to carry them, then distributors might pick them up. Your favorite vegan retailers might import them, too, so don’t hesitate to message Vegan Essentials and others with your request.
Unlike most alcohol brands, Tokaj shares their ingredients! I’ve included them below.
Coconut & Almond
Ingredients: vegetable concentrate (water, sugar, coconut oil (15,0%), alcohol, soy protein (3,4%), emulsifiers: E471, E481), softened drinking water, sugar, grain spirit, flavors, emulsifier (E401).
More Facts on Tokaj Vegan Liqueur
- Price: 2409 HUF (in Hungary; about $8 USD)
- Availability: Tokaj Creamy Vegan Liqueur is currently sold in Hungary, but they are working on global distribution. Ask for them from your favorite vegan alcohol retailer!
- Certifications: Tokaj Creamy Vegan Liqueur is Certified Vegan.
- Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Tokaj Creamy Vegan Liqueur is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.*
- For More Product Information: Visit the Tokaj Spirit website at tokajspirit.hu/en.
*Always read the ingredient and nutrition statement prior to consumption. Ingredients, processes, and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company or product. Contact the company to discuss their manufacturing processes if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. No food product can be guaranteed “safe” for every individual’s needs. You should never rely on ingredient and allergen statements alone if dealing with a severe food allergy.
It’s just creamy enough, has a perfect alcohol balance, and the flavor is unique and delicious. My husband said it had a “marzipan” flavor – he’s not a fan of marzipan, but loved this, which was interesting. I thought it had notes of cherry, and a friend said “fruity.”