When I noticed that Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Molasses Cookie Dough was made without dairy, I had to toss it in our cart. The ingredients read just like homemade, and I was curious to know if they taste that way, too.
We live at higher altitude (about 4500 feet), which can sometimes affect cookie baking. These came out nicely right at 15 minutes, but were a bit raw at 13 minutes, and too crispy at 16 minutes. At least where I live, hitting that sweet spot was essential. But when I got it just right, these cookies came out perfect!
Each bite had a warm flavor with a bold punch of spice. They were perfectly sweet, and not sugary. I enjoyed them with tea, but I also think they would be great dunked in your favorite milk beverage. Or you can serve them on a party platter or gift them to friends. They really could be passed off as homemade.
The Gingerbread Molasses Cookie Dough does puff up quite a bit as it cooks, but the cookies deflate as they cool. I was hoping for thicker, softer cookies. Nonetheless, this dough makes great chewy or crispy cookies, depending on how long you bake them.
Essential Details of Trader Joe’s Cookie Dough
So far, we’ve discovered the seasonal Gingerbread Molasses Cookie Dough:
- The ingredients are Unbleached Wheat Flour, Light Brown Sugar, Palm Fruit Oil, Molasses, Water, Eggs, Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Ground Ginger, Vanilla Extract, Cloves, Baking Powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), Cinnamon.
- Each baked cookie contains 150 calories, 6 grams fat, 12 grams sugars, and 1 gram protein.
- It is certified Kosher Dairy, which means it is probably made on equipment that produces other dairy-based products. This could indicate a higher risk for cross contamination, even though there isn’t a “may contain” statement.
- Each package makes 12 rather large cookies and costs just over $3.
- You can find this cookie dough in the refrigerated section near the other specialty items. In our store, it was by the vegan cheese. Despite being refrigerated, it has a somewhat lengthy expiration. My package had a date that was over a month out.
The Facts on Trader Joe’s Cookie Dough
Availability: Trader Joe’s Cookie Dough is sold exclusively at Trader Joe’s stores in the United States.
Certifications: Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Molasses Cookie Dough is Certified Kosher Dairy, but this does not mean it contain dairy in terms of ingredients. See our Kosher Guide for more details on the different certifications.
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Molasses Cookie Dough is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free ,and vegetarian. Nonetheless, check with the company on their manufacturing processes for all varieties if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. Processes and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company / product.
For More Product Information: Visit your local Trader Joe’s store or contact them directly via their website at www.traderjoes.com.