I always think of the holidays as the most hectic time of year, and the summer as the least productive. But this year, I don’t think we can catch a break. Stress is at an all time high, and productivity – well, we don’t need to go there. With little energy for new cooking adventures, I have turned to old favorites like this chicken and broccoli stir fry. It’s a no fail meal in my house. The entire dish is ready in less than a half hour, is full of flavor, and can be adapted based on what I have on hand.
The Best Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry in 25 Minutes or Less
As you can tell, I was even too lazy to take new photographs, but I think you get the gist with these! This chicken and broccoli stir fry is naturally dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free. You can also make it gluten-free with wheat-free tamari and gluten-free oyster sauce, or soy-free with my suggestions below.
Don’t hesitate to mix the vegetables up, or even add more, if desired. The sauce is also great with mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini. My husband also suggested adding cashews. I keep forgetting to do this, but it would be an excellent touch if you don’t need nut free.
Special Diet Notes: Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
For soy-free chicken and broccoli stir fry, you can substitute coconut aminos for the soy sauce. It’s a little sweet and less salty than soy sauce, so you might want to lower the sugar and salt to taste. A lot of oyster sauces are soy-free, including the gluten-free one I linked to.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1½ tablespoons + ½ tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons regular or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons sugar or sweetener of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger powder
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons refined sesame oil, peanut oil, or other high heat oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3 cups cooked rice, to serve
- Slice the chicken breasts across the grain into thin strips, about ⅛- to ¼-inch thick.
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Add the 1½ tablespoons starch, sherry, salt, and pepper. Stir until no dry spots remain.
- Steam the broccoli florets until they turn bright green and are slightly tender, but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, oyster sauce, chicken broth, sugar, ginger, crushed red pepper, and remaining ½ tablespoon starch.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high to high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it is white, about 3 to 5 minutes. If it threatens to stick, add a little chicken broth or water as you stir to keep things moving. Add the garlic, broccoli, and sauce. Stir-fry until the broccoli is tender and heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the stir fry with rice.