Special Diet Notes: Levana’s Date Nut Bread / Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup diced dates, packed
- 1 cup dark or golden raisins
- 2½ cups flour, all purpose, whole wheat pastry or spelt (as always, spelt is my favorite)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil [for soy-free, may want to use an alternate oil]
- ½ cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup hot strong tea, decaf ok
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the first set of ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the second set of ingredients in another bowl.
- Combine both mixtures, making sure not to overmix.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan, or 6-cup loaf pan, and bake 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.