Thanks to Go Dairy Free viewer Pat for sharing her favorite dairy-free, gluten-free rice bread recipe with us! She sent an email with this simple bread that’s reportedly great for toast and sandwiches.
Pat’s measurements are more relaxed than our typical bread recipes, but as long as you get a fairly loose batter, you should be on the right track. Gluten-free bread is made with a batter, rather than dough, to keep the bread from being too dry.
This recipe does require quite a few eggs, so I do not recommend trying to substitute them.
If you can’t find gluten-free self raising flour, then you can make your own. Bob’s Red Mill has a good recipe.
Arrowroot starch / flour can be a little expensive. In a pinch, you can substitute non-GMO cornstarch or tapioca starch.
Special Diet Notes: Rice Flour Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups organ self raising gluten-free flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 4 dessert spoons white rice flour
- 1 spoon brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking power
- Pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup soya milk or soy-free milk beverage
- 1 dessert spoon dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC.
- Grease and flour a 9×5-inch or similar bread pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, starch, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the eggs, milk beverage, and buttery spread to the well, and whisk to combine. Stir until the batter is well combined.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and level it out.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- When it comes out leave on side covered.