This Lessarella Cheez came from the 5 star “Country Life Vegetarian Cookbook” by Diana Fleming.
You can use this Lessarella Cheez on pizzas, to make lasagna, macaroni cheese, on the top of mashed potatoes when making a bean shepherd’s pie, on toast with tomatoes. You can make it thick and set it and cut it the next day or you can make it thinner and pour it over vegetables as a cheese sauce. I use this recipe most frequently as it has no nuts or seeds which makes it cheaper. However, if you can afford them, the recipes with nuts and seeds are so good for nutritional value.
Special Diet Notes: Lessarella Cheez
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup arrowroot or cornstarch*
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ cup tahini (if you don't have tahini, you can use sesame seeds - tahini is sesame seed paste)
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: You can also add ½ chopped red bell pepper if you want to make the cheese more orange coloured. I like to do this.
- Blend all ingredients on high for one minute. Pour into saucepan and cook on medium, stirring constantly until thickened. Put into loaf pan or other mold. Chill overnight. Remove from mold and slice. Delicious on crackers, pizza or in sandwiches. For pizza or fondue, use half the amount of arrowroot.