This recipe for cinnamon baked apples in coconut milk is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Michelle Hendrickson. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage and optionally Coconut Milk Ice Cream (yes, cookie dough!!) by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Michelle says, “This recipe for cinnamon baked apples doubles as two options. Kids love this for breakfast or served with a scoop of so delicious ice cream for a healthier dessert.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cinnamon Baked Apples with Coconut Milk
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. These cinnamon baked apples are generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 gala apple
- 2 tablespoons quick oats (use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 3 tablespoons + ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon raw honey (substitute agave or BeeFree for vegan)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Ice Cream, your choice of flavor (optional for dessert)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Wash apple. Cut a straight cut across bottom so it sits flat and doesn't roll around. Cut around the stem and hollow out where stem and seeds are. Take all seeds out.
- In a small bowl mix together oats, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of coconut milk beverage plus the raw honey. Stuff the oat filling all into the apple. Put the apple stuffed into a single serve small baking dish. Pour remaining ¼ cup coconut milk beverage in the baking dish to help steam and flavor the apple. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of apple. When done take out and cut in half.
- Serve for breakfast or top with a scoop of dairy free ice cream to serve as dessert.
This looks fabulous. Apple and Cinnamon is well known to blend well together. All you need now is some plain Ceylon Cinnamon tea to wash away the guilt of sugar. 🙂