Summer may be slipping away, but ice cream socials and birthday parties are year-round celebrations. Make them special for all with this vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. The recipe was an Honorable Mention Winner in the Coconut category of our #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest. The event was sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and hosted by us, Go Dairy Free. But this incredible frozen dessert recipe was created and submitted by Nicole of Allergylicious.
After discovering her youngest son had life-threatening food allergies to dairy, eggs and peanuts, Nicole began a quest to develop recipes for tasty treats to make sure he would never be left out. Experiencing the same questions that any mother who encounters food allergies does, Nicole baked and tweaked her way to developing enough recipes to write her first cookbook, Sweet Cheats. She has since released the e-cookbook, Eat Dessert First.
Nicole is a Board Certified Health Coach and works with other families to help them learn to live with food allergies. She continues her baking and shares her recipes and experiences on her blog, Allergylicious.com.
Testing Notes: Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Honestly, what’s not to like about a cake made of dairy-free cookie dough ice cream and vegan ice cream sandwiches? Nonetheless, Nicole put it all together in a way that sent this dessert over the top:
This cookie dough ice cream sandwich cake was really delicious and very sweet! It was easy to make, a huge hit with my family, and I was impressed at how she incorporated the different ingredients. Plus, it was a cool looking cake for parties and definitely kid friendly.
Special Diet Notes: Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 to 2 pints dairy-free cookie dough ice cream (used So Delicious Cookie Dough CoconutMilk Frozen Dessert)
- 16 mini dairy-free ice cream sandwiches (used 2 packages So Delicious Mini CoconutMilk Sandwiches)
- 2 cups coconut whipped topping (used 1 tub So Delicious CocoWhip)
- 1 batch chocolate ganache or syrup
- 1 batch vegan caramel
- Sprinkles, for garnish (optional)
- Set the pint(s) of dairy-free ice cream on the counter to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Line an 8- or 9-inch springform pan with a sheet of plastic wrap, extending about 2 inches over the edge.
- Cut each ice cream sandwich in half, vertically. Create a wall by placing the half sandwiches side-by-side against the inside edge of your pan, cut side facing in. Place the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes to ensure the sandwiches don't melt as you finish the recipe.
- Spread a layer of the softened dairy-free ice cream along the bottom of the pan (inside your ice cream sandwich rim). And then drizzle chocolate ganache and caramel sauce on top. Add a layer of coconut whip and then another layer of Cookie Dough Ice Cream, chocolate ganache, and caramel.
- Put the cake in the freezer to firm up for 1 hour.
- Top with any extra coconut whip topping and sprinkles.
- Return the cake to the freezer and freeze until firm. Cover with the wrap and keep frozen until ready to serve.