Dairy can linger in many libations, from festive Bailey’s-spiked coffee and traditional egg nog to the ever-popular White Russian. But dairy-free drinks abound and are becoming more popular for their lighter taste. Take this cranberry fizz cocktail for example…
The fizz actually comes from pasteurized egg, which is considered a safe option when using raw egg. If you confuse eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? If eggs are out for you, see my notes below.
The cranberry in this libation offers seasonal festivity, particularly when paired with orange liqueur (yes, it’s dairy-free!). When shaken, the egg white creates a delightful layer of foamy, frothy fizz. Bartenders have actually been using this trick since the late 1800s!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cranberry Fizz Cocktail
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free and vegetarian.
For Vegan / Egg-Free: You can simply omit the egg for a tasty drink, but it will remove the fizz from the cranberry fizz cocktail.
The recipe and image were shared with us by Davidson’s Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs.
- 1-1/2 ounces orange liqueur
- 1-1/2 ounces vodka
- ¾ cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pasteurized egg white, slightly beaten
- Dash citrus bitters
- Sugar for glass rims, optional
- Place orange liqueur, vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, egg white, dash of bitters and ice in cocktail shaker. Shake until ingredients are blended.
- To add sugar rim to glasses, dip rim of glass into citrus juice (orange, lemon or lime) then into shallow layer of colored sugars. Allow to dry.
- Pour beverage into 2 glasses rimmed with sugar.