Fennel is a member of the carrot family, but it tastes nothing like those sweet roots. In fact, fennel is found in large green bulbs that have prominent notes of licorice and anise. That flavor lends itself well to this creamy fennel soup, and complements the herbs, onions, and garlic nicely.
This Creamy Fennel Soup is Simply Delicious, Hot or Cold
You might have missed this chunky vegetable, but it’s sold in many mainstream grocers. I’ve even bought it at Trader Joe’s! But it can be more elusive off-season. Fennel is in season from fall through early spring.
This recipe was originally shared with us by Pacific Foods (many years ago!). They serve it chilled, but it’s also a delicious warm soup option. And if you want a richer finish, you can substitute 1 can lite coconut milk or full-fat coconut milk for milk beverage. It will influence the flavor a touch.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Fennel Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, optionally paleo, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or extra light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth or no chicken broth (for vegan)
- 2 fennel bulbs, slice crosswise
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, minced
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the buttery spread or oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, fennel, and parsley and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the fennel is quite tender.
- Carefully pureé the soup in batches in a blender or food processor or with a stick blender.
- Stir in the lemon juice, tarragon, salt, and white pepper.
- Chill the soup in the refrigerator, if desired.
- Before serving, stir in the milk beverage and optionally garnish with the fennel fronds.