This dairy-free banana cream tart recipe is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Alyse Raponi. For the creamy filling, she uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Banana Cream Tart
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just use caution, and read the ingredients carefully when selecting cookies and whipped topping (opt for coconut whip). Note that this recipe does use eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For a tree nut-free and dairy-free banana cream tart, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the AlmondMilk.
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, ripe, mashed well
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavoured gelatin powder
- 2 cups cookie crumbs (I used dairy free almond shortbread)
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 cups dairy-free whipped topping (such as Healthy Top, Rich Whip (in cartons), Soyatoo or homemade coconut whip)
- 10-12 amaretti cookies, crushed*
- In a medium-sized pot pour in all custard ingredients except gelatin and whisk vigorously. Place on medium-high heat and bring to almost a boil. Reduce heat so the mixture does not boil over. Continuously whisk so mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot and burn. Cook until mixture is thickened approximately 10 minutes.
- Bloom gelatin powder in a 1 tablespoon water. Microwave for 30 seconds on high. Mixture will liquefy. Stir to incorporate and cool slightly. Mix into banana mixture.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30-45 minutes. Refrigerate for 1 hour. (This cannot be made in advance as the bananas turn brown when refrigerated for too long).
- In a medium-sized bowl mix crumbs with shortening. Press into a 4x12x2-inch false bottom tart pan. (See picture). Press up the sides firmly using your fingers to tamp down the edge. This builds the sides to prevent breakage when removed from tart pan.
- Bake in a 350ºF preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Cool to room temperature or speed the process up in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the cooled crumbs. Spread with a spatula. (When chocolate hardens it prevents the filling to soak through to the crumbs, giving you a sturdy shell and a nice surprise)
- Pour the cooled banana filling mixture over the crust , spread to the outer corners.
- Top with whipped topping, refrigerate.
- When ready to serve sprinkle crushed amaretti cookies on top.