There is just something that so fun and irresistible about those little tea sandwiches. I’ve never had them at a tea house, since they typically contain dairy. But my mother-in-law was kind enough to make some dairy-free tea sandwiches during one of our summer visits. She used mayonnaise, to keep it simple. That’s an option, or you can elevate your cucumber tea sandwiches with the veggie-infused, creamy dairy-free cream cheese spread in this recipe.
Dairy-Free Cucumber Tea Sandwiches fit for a Princess
This recipe was shared with us by the Dole Food Company, as a tribute to Disney’s Ultimate Princess Celebration. They created several recipes around a royal tea party theme, and as usual, have also created some fun DIY activities.
They use glass slipper cookie cutter, to keep with the theme. But you can use other shapes, the same size or smaller, or simply make the sandwiches and cut them into small bites. Here’s a quick guide to cutting traditional tea sandwich shapes.
Special Diet Notes: Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ½ small carrot, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup small cauliflower florets
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 radish, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slices 100% whole wheat bread or gluten-free bread
- ⅙ English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Place the cashews in a small bowl, and cover with hot water, about an inch above the cashews. Let the cashews soak for 30 minutes, and then drain.
- Put the cashews, carrot, cauliflower, green onion, radish, cream cheese alternative, and salt in your food processor and pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth or completely smooth, as desired.