Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Meringues
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup Enjoy Life® semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place first three ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add sugar, 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon at a time, beating until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Sift cocoa powder over top, add chocolate chips and gently fold in.
- Dollop meringues on prepared sheet*.
- Bake for 30 minutes with one pan on the bottom rack and one pan on the second rack from top. After 30 minutes, rotate pans and bake an additional 30 minutes or until dry to the touch. Turn off oven, prop oven open and let cookies cool in oven for 30 minutes. Remove pans carefully from the paper, cool completely on wire racks.
- Store meringues in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks (if you don’t eat them all)