This Chocolate Layer Cake recipe was reprinted with permission from “What’s to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Food Allergy Cookbook” by Linda Marienhoff Coss, available at www.FoodAllergyBooks.com.”
“This is my children’s first pick for birthday cakes!” – Linda Coss
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Layer Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free 100% cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using 100% vegetable shortening, grease and then flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat with a spoon or wire whisk just until batter is smooth and ingredients are well-blended.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost the first layer, stack the second on top, and frost again. Decorate as desired.
- Makes one 9-inch round double-layer cake.