Special Diet Notes & Options: Marble Vegan Pound Cake
For a tree nut-free and vegan pound cake, you can swap Coconut Milk Beverage for the Almond Milk.
Sarah’s Notes: Sarah of Go Dairy Free tested this vegan pound cake recipe and she definitely approves (which is why we’ve added it to the “Sarah’s Recipes” section). She says it is lighter than a traditional pound cake in texture, but still really good. The chocolate swirl really makes it, adding a nice depth of flavor. The only change she might make is to add a touch of salt, but this isn’t a deal breaker. Overall, Sarah found this vegan pound cake to be a very solid, family-friendly recipe with a pretty chocolate swirl that makes it great for bake sales or other events.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk (see note in post above for nut-free)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- 1½ cups cane sugar
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk (Yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond milk and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and creamy. Add the yogurt and mix until all combined. Add the flour mixture in two additions, alternating with the vanilla almond milk, mixing after each addition until ingredients are just combined.
- Remove ½ cup of the batter to another bowl and mix the cocoa powder into it to make a small amount of chocolate batter.
- Pour the vanilla batter into the prepared pan. Scoop the chocolate batter on top of the vanilla, and marble the chocolate into the vanilla using a chopstick or knife.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once cool, the cake can be stored for 2-3 days covered at room temperature, or 5-6 days covered in the refrigerator.