This recipe was posted up at alimento, the online home of a dairy-free New Zealand blogger. It seems that “mixed spice” is a bit different from allspice. The ingredients on the Mixed Spice she used are: coriander, cinnamon, pimento, ginger, cassia, nutmeg & cloves. Just cinnamon may be substituted for the mixed spice.
To bake a cake, follow the recipe, but cook at 180ºC (350ºF). Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
“This recipe is based on a very moist chocolate cake. I’ve also known it to be called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake. It is delicious and similar to the other chocolate cake I have on this blog.”
Special Diet Notes: Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¾ cup canola oil (almost any kind of cooking oil will do)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 cup water
- Sift first 6 ingredients together in mixing bowl.
- Make 3 wells and in each hole place the next 3 ingredients.
- Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk over top and mix with a fork or wire whisk.
- Put spoonfuls into patty tin.
- Bake at 170º Celcius (325 to 350ºF) for 20 minutes.