Gluten Free Casein Free Mince Pies
- 125g/5oz rice flour
- 100g/4oz tapioca flour
- 50g/2oz corn flour
- 1 rounded tsp xanthan gum
- 3//4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 150g/6oz dairy-free margarine
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 2 tsp distilled vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp iced water
- 1 jar of gluten free/dairy free mincemeat (usually all mincemeat is fine – but check the ingredients)
- Place flours, sugar, salt and xanthan gum into a bowl. Rub in margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Combine the remaining ingredients and gradually add to the flour mixture until the pastry holds together into a ball
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before use
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour two 12 hole cake tins. Cut off just over half the pastry and roll out quite thinly. With a large round pastry cutter, cut 24 discs and carefullly place in each hole. Add a tablespoon of mincemeat to each.
- Incorporate any leftover pastry into the remaining dough and roll out. Using a medium sized pastry cutter, cut out 24 discs for the lids. Using your finger wet the underside of each disc with water and press over the filling of the pies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. You can brush with water 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, sprinkle with caster sugar and return to the oven to complete or dredge with icing sugar when cold.