These lovely dairy-free mince pies are a treat from the kitchen of Foods Matter, an allergy-friendly UK publication. They shared the recipe with us back in December of 2006. Luckily, the recipe is a timeless creation that is still loved to this day.
The recipe includes a completely from-scratch mince filling and a gluten-free pastry crust. If you aren’t gluten-free, you can swap in your favorite dairy-free or vegan pastry dough.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Mince Pies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, optionally food allergy-friendly, and vegetarian.
- 7 ounces raisins
- 7 ounces currants
- 7 ounces sultanas
- 3 ½ ounces dried apricots, minced
- 3 ½ ounces soft dried figs, minced
- 3 ½ ounces soft prunes, minced
- 2 ounces dried blueberries (optional)
- 2 ounces glace cherries, minced
- 2 heaping teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 scant teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 ounces apples (not peeled), cored and diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ¾ cup fruit juice (like pomegranate, orange, or apple)
- ⅞ cup brandy or whisky
- 7 ounces gluten-free strong bread flour blend (they use Doves Farm)
- 3½ ounces buckwheat flour
- Pinch salt (omit if using buttery sticks)
- 5 ounces sustainable palm shortening or dairy-free buttery sticks
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional; omit for vegan)
- In a large bowl, stir together the raisins, currants, sultanas, apricots, figs, prunes, blueberries, cherries, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir in the apples and lemon zest. Add the fruit juice and brandy or whisky and mix well.
- Cover the fruit mixture and let it sit for for 24 to 48 hours.
- When the mince filling is ready, preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours and salt (if using). Add the shortening or buttery sticks and whisk until uniform crumbs form. Add the water and stir until it comes together into soft dough.
- Roll the dough out and cut it into rounds to fit your mince pie tins. Fill with the fruit mixture* and top each with a second pastry circle as a lid, or cut the dough into strips and top. Paint with beaten egg (if using).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the tins when still warm and let cool completely on a rack.
Key Pantry Supplies: Dairy-Free Mince Pies