Chill out with this dairy-free mango ice cream recipe. It was submitted by Heidi Jones many years ago as an official entry in one of our recipe contests. Heidi uses a combines a little rich coconut milk with thickened dairy-free creamer and fresh fruit to create a mango ice cream that’s creamy, but still relatively light.
Dairy-Free Mango Ice Cream with Lassi Frozen Yogurt Option
Be sure to choose mangos with low to no fibers for your mango puree. This helps to ensure a smooth, creamy mango ice cream. Honey or Ataulfo mangos are an ideal option, but Keitt and Kent mangos are also good options. Avoid Francis, Haden, and Tommy Atkins mangos, which tend to be more fibrous.
In her original mango ice cream recipe, Heidi likes to add cardamom for a mango lassi vibe. We’ve made this an option, as this cool dessert is still delicious without this somewhat exotic spice.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Mango Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and allergy-friendly.
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (can sub non-GMO cornstarch)
- 2 cups pureed mango
- 2 cups dairy-free vanilla coffee creamer (Heidi uses So Delicious French Vanilla Coconut Creamer)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, and starch until the starch dissolves. Whisk in the mango and creamer.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat, and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a large container, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap touching the surface (to keep a skin from forming).
- Refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours, or until cool.
- Process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Pack the ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and freeze. It should be hard-packed in about 4 hours.
Mango Lassi Variation: Whisk 1 teaspoon ground cardamom in with the creamer and mango. You can also substitute dairy-free yogurt for the creamer for a true lassi and frozen yogurt vibe.