This recipe for dairy-free tartufo is a “5 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Sil. For the caramel drizzle, Sil uses Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
Sil says, “The “ice cream” in this dairy-free tartufo can be changed to any flavor you desire. It is so easy and less expensive than packaged ones and of course it’s dairy free. It should be misshapen to resemble a real truffle found in the ground.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Tartufo with Burnt Caramel Drizzle
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer(1 pint size) (or other flavours)
- 1 pint: using 2-4 large scoops So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk German Chocolate Frozen Dessert (or your favorite flavor)
- 2-4 maraschino cherries (opt)
- ½ cup cocoa powder for rolling
- For the drizzle, pour sugar into a small saucepan, pour water over and place on high.
- Bring to a boil, stir to distribute water then, do not touch as it begins to boil. Turn on fan.
- Allow it to boil until it begins to turn a yellow golden colour. (Water is evaporating). This takes only 1-2 minutes. Do not brown or it will burn too much.
- Swirl pan to distribute colour. Immediately remove from burner and pour in creamer. It will continue to cook and darken. Be careful it is molten hot.
- Swirl to thicken, pour over ice cream or on plate.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until needed and it can be reheated for a few seconds in the microwave.
- *Larger batches can be made by doubling recipe*
- When forming scoops press the ice cream scoop deeply and firmly into the frozen dessert to form a round ball...don't worry if it's not perfect. You can make any size you like.
- Place 1 cherry into the center and continue to form.
- Roll the scoop into cocoa powder pressing as you roll and place on a decorative plate.
- Guest/family will get a sweet surprise when they spoon into the center.