Jae from Domestic Affair adds an interesting twist to her Chili Non-Carne (vegetarian chili) by serving it on a bed of chopped organic romaine lettuce or spinach, with cubes of avocado and chopped cilantro on top.
Special Diet Notes: Chili Non-Carne
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-large bell pepper (green, red, yellow or orange), diced
- 1 tablespoon each: chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups beans (all kidney or half kidney, half black or pinto beans), rinsed
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) organic corn kernels
- 1 28 oz. can organic tomatoes (diced or crushed/sauce)
- 2 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- In a large pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Toss in the garlic, bell pepper and spices, and saute for a few minutes more, adding a slosh or two of water if necessary to avoid sticking.
- Throw in all other ingredients and keep on the heat till it's all warmed through, stirring occasionally.