Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Lemon Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 3-4 boneless chicken portions
- 4 tablespoons gram flour [otherwise known as chickpea or garbanzo flour]
- Juice and grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons wine or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- Put the flour into a small plastic bag. Dice the chicken portions into bite-sized pieces and put them into the bag with the flour. Shake it about until the chicken pieces are evenly coated, then lift them out – leaving any spare flour in the bag (it will get used later).
- For the sauce, mix the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and vinegar. Heat on full power in the microwave or in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan. Fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown and cooked through. Add the lemon sauce and any remaining flour, and stir well. Allow to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice and steamed vegetables.
Try using the zest and juice of one orange for an interesting variation.