The Celiac Mama, Jereann Zann, is guest posting for our Kids Can Cook section today! She creates wonderful, family-friendly eats, like this dairy-free, gluten-free blueberry pancake bread recipe. And she is introducing the new Little GF Chefs Baking Club (which is dairy-free too!).
The saying goes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you energy and the ability to concentrate better at work and school, but busy mornings can make eating a healthy breakfast challenging.
As a working mom raising a six and four year old and a professional lunch box packer for two gluten free, dairy free kids, I am always looking for ways to beat the morning rush. From muffins to eggs to oatmeal, I’ve found that making larger batches that will last a few days is always helpful. One of our favorite breakfasts to make ahead of time is Blueberry Pancake Bread.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancake Bread that will Inspire Little Chefs
My kids love blueberry pancakes (who doesn’t!) and we often eat them on the weekends. One Saturday morning, we had some leftover batter and my daughter and I were curious to see what would happen if we baked the pancakes in a mini loaf pan.
I knew that if they were a hit, they could become an on-the-go snack, and I could just imagine the maple syrup in the car seats. So, before we baked the pancakes, we added maple syrup to the batter and a cinnamon brown sugar topping.
My kids were so eager to try the Blueberry Pancake Bread when it came out of the oven, and I knew we had a winner when there were only crumbs left and smiling faces a few minutes later. Now we make it together all the time!
The Little GF Chefs Baking Club is Born
Speaking of baking together, I try to get my kids in the kitchen as much as possible. Being on restricted diets can be hard for little ones, and I’ve found that baking together increases their self-confidence and helps them develop a positive relationship with food. Plus, it’s TONS of fun! So much so, that recently my daughter and I started a monthly baking club for kids called Little GF Chefs to bring the joys of baking to families all over the country.
Free From Top Allergens, Fun For All
Every month club members receive baking kits complete with dry mixes, decorating supplies and baking tools that are gluten free and free of the top 8 allergens. If you’re looking for a fun way to get your kids in the kitchen, check out Little GF Chefs.
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Pancake Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 eggs, room temperature (can sub 2 egg replacers for egg-free)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ⅛ cup (2 tablespoons) brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Lightly coat your loaf pan with coconut oil or use a non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your eggs, water, and coconut milk and mix until well combined.
- Next, add your maple syrup and coconut oil and continue mixing.
- Add your flour and baking powder to the mixing bowl ½ cup at a time and mix until smooth.
- Add your blueberries to the bowl, and fold them into the batter with a spatula (do not use an electric mixer or they will break apart).
- Pour the pancake batter into mini loaf pans.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon to coat the tops of the mini loaves.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top and cooked through.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes before serving.