It is cookie season, but that doesn’t mean you need to blow your healthy diet altogether. These grain-free, dairy-free coconut macaroon cookies are nutritious little treats that satisfy without refined sugars. They remind me of a cross between macaroons and classic soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Coconut Macaroon Cookies Free of Dairy, Eggs, Gluten, Grains & Refined Sugar
Years ago, my friend Ricki Heller released an ebook called Desserts without Compromise. It’s no longer available, but I still have this recipe for dairy-free, gluten-free, and downright healthy coconut macaroon cookies. My version is adapted from Ricki’s original formula a bit, and I’ve added some FAQs for substitutions.
Can I Use Pre-Ground Flaxseed Instead?
Yes. 2 tablespoons whole flaxseeds are equivalent to about 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed.
Can I Use Almond Flour or Almonds in Place of the Cashews?
Yes! Use 1/3 cup almonds, or 1.5 ounces of almond flour in place of the cashews. The cashews lend a smoother, creamier texture and flavor, but almond coconut macaroon cookies are delicious too!
What Can I Substitute for the Coconut Flour?
This is a tricky flour to substitute because it absorbs so much liquid compared to other types of flour. If using regular flour or an all-purpose gluten-free flour, you might need 1/3 to 1/2 cup. We haven’t tested it, so I can’t say for certain.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Macaroon Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup honey or agave nectar (for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, or cacao nibs
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In your spice grinder or food processor, grind the cashews and flaxseeds into a powder, about 30 seconds.
- Place the the cashew / flax mixture in a medium-sized bowl, and add the coconut flour, sweetener, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt. Stir until everything is well combined. Fold in the shredded coconut, followed by the chocolate or cacao nibs.
- With slightly wet hands (to avoid sticking), shape the dough into 12 little rounds. Flatten each to about ⅜ to ½-inch thickness (they don’t spread) on your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes, turn the cookie sheet, and bake for another 5 minutes, or until they just begin to turn golden on the outside.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Cookie Recipes