Who says s’mores can’t be a year round pleasure? To kick off summer sweets, we have this amazing homemade recipe for sweet potato s’mores that can be enjoyed right through fall and winter!
The sweet potato s’mores recipe and photo were shared with us by the Louisianna Sweet Potato Commission.
This sweet potato s’mores recipe starts with hearty gluten-free, grain-free graham crackers naturally sweetened with dates and honey or agave. The nuttiness makes for a hearty snack, too and a relatively healthy dessert.
Sweet potatoes are a wonderful choice here as they are available year round. You can get the canned puree or buy fresh, cook, and puree yourself. Either way, the simple dairy-free sweet potato butter is great on these sweet potato s’mores, with oatmeal, spread on toast, in smoothies – you name it! Also, if you want all to cook at once, simply place the sweet potato butter mixture in your crockpot and let it cook on low while the crackers dehydrate in your oven. If you want to avoid the oven altogether, the crackers can be made in a dehydrator instead!
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Potato S’mores
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup + ½ cup honey or agave nectar, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans sweet potato puree (can sub pumpkin)
- ½ cup apple cider
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup minced crystallized ginger
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (regular or vegan)
- Dairy-free dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 170°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans and almonds until chopped. Add the dates, ¼ cup honey or agave, oil or shortening, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla, and salt, and process until finely chopped.
- Spread in thin layer on your prepared baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 3 hours. Let cool, and cut into 3-inch squares.
- Increase the oven temperature to 250°F and grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato, apple cider, remaining honey or agave, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and remaining cinnamon. Process or mix until smooth. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish, and cook 1 hour. Stir well, and cook 30 minutes more. Let cool to room temperature.
- Increase your oven to 300°F and grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread 1⁄2-inch layer of sweet potato butter on each cracker. Top with marshmallows, and place on your prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and serve.