This healthy mashed potatoes recipe was shared with us a while back by a reader. So what are her secrets to perfect mashed potatoes? First, use only enough water to cover and salt the water to infuse flavor. Second, heat the liquid before adding. And third, use a potato masher or ricer before whipping.
Special Diet Notes: Perfect Healthy Mashed Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 pounds (about 6 medium) russet potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt + additional, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (see Intro)
- 1 tablespoon non-GMO canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, preferably freshly ground
- Halve potatoes lengthwise and cut each half into eight similar-size pieces.
- Place potatoes in a 4-quart pot and cover with the 4 cups water. Add the 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover the pan and place it over high heat. Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. If the pot threatens to boil over, reduce the heat.
- Pour the milk beverage into a small saucepan over low heat. Bring it to a simmer, but do not boil.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the pot. Thoroughly mash the potatoes with an old-fashioned potato masher or ricer.
- Scrape the potatoes into a mixing bowl. Begin to whip the potatoes on medium speed with a hand mixer (whisk attachment if you have one), while slowly adding the hot milk beverage. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the oil and pepper, and whip briefly to mix.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 1 hour by putting the bowl, covered, in hot water bath.