This recipe for hoisin beef is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Anita Archibald. For the rice, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Hoisin Beef with Vegetables
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free. Just be sure to choose your hoisin sauce wisely.
- 1 cup Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- Pinch of salt
- 12 tablespoons oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless sirloin, very thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup prepared hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Rinse and drain rice in cold water. Next add the rice, ¾ cup chicken broth, coconut milk, and salt together in a pot over high heat and, bring the to a boil. Stir and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cover the pot tightly with the lid. Continue cooking for about 25 minutes until done.
- Heat half the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook for 3 minutes or just until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the carrot, red pepper and snow peas. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Whisk 1 cup broth with the hoisin and cornstarch; add to the skillet. Simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened and glossy. Add the steak and simmer for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Serve the stir-fry over the rice and garnish with green onion.