Fortune cookies are usually dairy free by ingredients, but they’re often loaded with colors, flavors, and other additives. These naturally dairy-free homemade fortune cookies are a fun treat made from everyday pantry supplies. Plus, you get the luck of writing your own fortunes! They make a great gift, and can also be dressed up. Dunk them in your favorite dairy-free chocolate for extra indulgence, and top with sprinkles for special occasions.
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Fortune Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 egg white
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Pinch salt
- Write your fortunes on strips of paper about 4 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk or beat the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff.
- Sift in the flour, sugar, and salt. Blend to combine.
- Put teaspoonfuls of the batter about 4 inches apart on the cookie sheet. With the back of a spoon, smooth the batter into even, round shapes. Don’t make too many at first! These cookies have to be hot in order to form them. When they cool off, it’s too late!
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes or until they look golden on the edges (the middles normally look pretty pale). Prepare more cookies on another buttered cookie sheet while the first batch is baking.
- When you take them out of the oven, use a wide spatula to put the cookies upside down on a wooden board. Quickly put the fortune in the middle of the cookie and fold the cookie in half. Fold cookie in half one more time, then place folded cookies into a muffin tin to cool.
- For crisper cookies, you can place the muffin tins of cookies back in the oven after the baking is complete and the oven is turned off for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are completely dry and golden.