It’s time for my weekly #365dairyfree challenge update! This week, I’m tying in my favorite, easy, homemade taco seasoning recipe. I’ve been using this simple blend for over a decade – in fact, it’s a well-loved gem in my book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook. I also shared it many years ago on my old blog (time to migrate it to my main website!). To note, I have seen versions of my homemade taco seasoning recipe posted on some other blogs since, but I assure you it’s one that I whipped up and posted many, many years ago!
Why Make Homemade Taco Seasoning?
- Many brands contain milk. Yes, seriously. Whey is a fairly common ingredient in seasoning packets. You may also spot nonfat milk powder or straight up lactose.
- You control the quality. There are no fillers needed when making it at home, and you can use good quality spices. My spice rack is almost completely Simply Organic now – I love the freshness and sourcing of their spices and for what you get, the price is pretty darn competitive.
- It can be adapted to taste. Sometimes I want it a little spicier, while other times I want garlic-free. I’ve twisted and turned this homemade taco seasoning recipe numerous ways to fit meals and heat preferences.
- You can use a little, or a lot. No awkward packet to fold up if you only want to use half. I often make a double batch of this homemade taco seasoning and store it in a spice shaker for use on popcorn, veggies, or when I just need a teaspoon or two for our meal.
365 Dairy-Free Recipe Challenge Update
With the 365 New Dairy-Free Recipe Challenge, my goal is to trial at least 365 new-to-me recipes this year, and that doesn’t even count all of the retesting I am doing to perfect many of those dishes. I’ll be using the hashtag #365dairyfree here and on social media to share many of the trials, successes and flops!
This week, I was on track and as you can tell, whipped up MANY batches of oatmeal. I’ve definitely got tasty oatmeal for days going on around here.
My New Dairy-Free Recipe Trials for January 28th through February 3rd:
- Apple Cinnamon Dutch Baby (technically a remake to share with you, but it had been many years)
- Cajun Chicken & Potatoes (a throw together that turned out recipe-worthy – I’ll be making again!)
- Deconstructed Wonton Soup (mistakes galore, but I’m on the right track)
- Banana Bread Instant Oatmeal (I had been dying to make this idea and loved it!)
- PB & J Instant Oatmeal (perfect for PB oats fans!)
- Almond Joy Instant Oatmeal (took a few trials, but I hit the mark for “breakfast-worthy”)
- Cinnamon Roll Instant Oatmeal (oh my heavens, yes!)
- Southwestern Bowls with Sweet & Spicy Marinade (more salt!)
- White Chocolate Crispy Bars (oh yes, coming soon!)
- Taco Tater Wedges … simply made with this homemade taco seasoning recipe …
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Taco Seasoning
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, paleo, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (see Heat Note below)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (increase if you like spicier)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (I use the full amount)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (optional, I often omit)
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. If not using immediately, store in an airtight container.
Heat Note: We use a mild to medium heat chili powder, as we prefer to control the spice of our meals after the fact, with hot sauce or salsa to taste, but you can use a hot chili powder if preferred.