Nothing says comfort like warm, sweet mugs of apple cider spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Unless of course that hot apple pie cider is also spiked with sherry and brandy! The liquor is optional – and I would of course omit it if serving to anyone under age – but as is, this could be the ultimate relaxing beverage on a cold, bustling winter day.
This recipe for “tipsy” hot apple pie cider was shared with us by U.S. Apples.
Special Diet Notes: Hot Apple Pie Cider
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Note that brandy and sherry will typically be gluten-free and free of top allergens, but it is possible that an allergen could be used in the production process. Check to be sure the brands are safe for you before whipping up a batch of this hot apple pie cider.
- 12 ounces fresh apple cider (organic, if possible)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger root
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 ounces dry sherry
- 2 ounces apple brandy
- Put the cider, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and brown sugar in small saucepan over high heat, and stir.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and divide between two Irish coffee glasses or mugs, transferring one cinnamon stick to each.
- Top each mug with half the sherry and brandy. Serve hot.
Pingback: Downward Facing Dairy-Free Eggnog Recipe (warmly spiced!)
Ooh, I’d love a mug! 🙂