Exactly two months ago, I shared the launch of Celine Steen’s latest cookbook, Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking: Healthy Plant-Based Recipes with a Kick. Since then, several delicious sample recipes have been featured from that beautiful collection. And I have one more to share with you today. Celine’s Kimchi Fried Rice recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday, or any day for that matter.
Special Diet Notes: Kimchi Fried Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, optionally peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) melted coconut oil or peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1 pound (454g) Homemade Kimchi or store-bought, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups (201g) frozen green peas
- 3 cups (will vary, 585g) cooked and chilled rice of choice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) reduced-sodium tamari (use gluten free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) kimchi brine
- Garnishes: Chopped vegan dry roasted peanuts and/or sesame seeds, thinly sliced scallions, crumbled roasted nori sheet, mild-flavored fried or baked tofu of choice or Gochujang Kimchi Sausages
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and cook until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the kimchi and cook until it isn’t too juicy anymore and is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the green peas and cook until bright green and heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Break the rice apart with a spoon to remove clumps.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil on medium-high heat. Add the rice to the oil and cook until heated through and crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the tamari and kimchi brine, and cook until absorbed and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally. Stir the rice into the vegetables to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve topped with your garnishes of choice.
Key Ingredients & Cookbook: Kimchi Fried Rice