Exactly two months ago, I shared the launch of Celine Steen’s latest cookbook, Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking: Healthy Plant-Based Recipes with a Kick. Since then, several delicious sample recipes have been featured from that beautiful collection. And I have one more to share with you today. Celine’s Kimchi Fried Rice recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday, or any day for that matter.
Special Diet Notes: Kimchi Fried Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, optionally peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Kimchi Fried Rice
This one’s a highly adaptable recipe and will mainly depend on the ripeness and spiciness of your kimchi. I recommend using a young, as in not super ripe, kimchi if you’re going to use the full amount noted here. I used Homemade Kimchi (recipe in Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking) after about a week of preparation. If using super ripe kimchi, halve the amount and add tofu or extra veggies. You can also elect to add chopped and pan-fried Gochujang Kimchi Sausages (recipe in Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking), and use extra tamari or gochujang if your kimchi really is on the weak side.
Author: Celine Steen
Serves: 3 to 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) melted coconut oil or peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1 pound (454g) Homemade Kimchi or store-bought, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups (201g) frozen green peas
- 3 cups (will vary, 585g) cooked and chilled rice of choice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) reduced-sodium tamari (use gluten free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) kimchi brine
- Garnishes: Chopped vegan dry roasted peanuts and/or sesame seeds, thinly sliced scallions, crumbled roasted nori sheet, mild-flavored fried or baked tofu of choice or Gochujang Kimchi Sausages
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and cook until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the kimchi and cook until it isn’t too juicy anymore and is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the green peas and cook until bright green and heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Break the rice apart with a spoon to remove clumps.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil on medium-high heat. Add the rice to the oil and cook until heated through and crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the tamari and kimchi brine, and cook until absorbed and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally. Stir the rice into the vegetables to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve topped with your garnishes of choice.
This recipe is reprinted with permissions from Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking: Healthy Plant-Based Recipes with a Kick by Celine Steen. And since Celine does include metric measurements for all of her recipes, we have included them here.
Key Ingredients & Cookbook: Kimchi Fried Rice
Pingback: Sizzling Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe: A Fresh Take on an Asian Classic
Pingback: Wild Rice Pilaf Recipe with Butternut Squash, Pecans & Warm Fall Spices
I didn’t know this was a thing! I love Kimchi so much! I need to do this!
I am hearing so many great things about this book – and I love anything kimchi! cannot wait to make this!
I JUST had vegan Kimchi Fried Rice last night! It’s one of my favorites….So glad to see it on your blog.
That’s crazy! I’d honestly never thought of it before Celine’s recipe.
This looks so good. Scott’s been making homemade kimchi, and I am obsessed with it. I haven’t made fried rice with it yet, though!
He is so adventurous in the kitchen – I’m impressed! This recipe and book might be fun for you guys then 🙂