When I think of fried rice, images of browned rice with a smattering of peas and scrambled egg flash in my head. But this vegetable fried rice is produce heavy, for a healthier dish that has the appealing look of confetti rice.
Feel free to mix up the vegetables with whatever you have on hand. This vegetable fried rice recipe is very forgiving. It can also be customized for most special diet needs. I’ve included notes for both gluten-free and vegan sauce options.
For fried rice, it is best to make the rice ahead and refrigerate it for at least an hour. This helps to dry out the rice so the grains don’t stick together. For rice tips, see my post on How to Make Rice: The Foolproof Way to Fluffy Low-Arsenic Grains.
This vegetable fried rice recipe with photo was shared with us by HollandHouseFlavors.com.
Special Diet Notes: Sizzling Vegetable Fried Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or your cooking oil of choice
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup small white mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup peeled and chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 cups cold, cooked, long-grain white rice (can be made a day ahead)
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (use gluten-free or vegan, if needed)
- ½ cup green onions, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a heavy-bottomed, nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the vegetable oil, onion, and garlic. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, carrot, zucchini, and bell peppers. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the rice. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the cooking wine. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until dry. Add the oyster sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the green onions, sesame oil, and black pepper.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.